This page allows access to the final committee draft (FCD) for the JBIG2 standard.
JBIG2 is a format for bi-level (black/white) image compression that offers significant advantages over other compression formats:
- large increases in compression performance (typically 3-5 times smaller than Group 4/MMR, 2-4 times smaller than JBIG1)
- special compression methods for text, halftones, and other binary image content
- lossy and lossless compression
- multi-page document compression
- flexible format, designed for easy embedding in other image file formats, such as TIFF
- high-performance decompression: using some coding modes, images can be decompressed at over 250 million pixels/second in software
The final committee draft can be downloaded as PDF (1151 kbytes). This is the last version that can be made available without charge by the JBIG committee. The current status of the document is that the final draft of the International Standard has been approved, and the document will soon be made available as an International Standard, IS 14492 (available from your national standards body). A press release with further details is available here.
If anyone implements a compressor or decompressor according to the draft, we would be glad to help you test your implementation (and ours!) by exchanging encoded bitstreams, and verifying interoperability. Currently several JBIG committee members are working on independent implementations for validation.
Comments and questions to the JBIG committee can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to the top